Life Update - May 6, 2018

Hello and welcome back to Kelli with an i!

It's been a minute since I've updated on here, but it is definitely long past due.

I've lived in Savannah for almost two months and it has been quite the adventure. Grad school is so much harder than I thought it would be.

I live in a nice-ish apartment complex about 1.5 miles from Gulfstream Center for Design. That's the school I have been working in the most this quarter, and will probably be the most trafficked school of mine, since it's where my major is held. My apartment is okay, but I have forgotten what it's like to live with messy (i.e. young) roommates. Overall, though, it isn't awful and it's in a great location.

I got a job last month at a cute coffee shop literally around the corner from my apartment complex. I can walk there in two minutes, which is awesome. I like my manager a lot, and the owners are pretty great. Most of the customers are regulars, which is fun to get to know them as I slowly get to see them on a daily/weekly basis.


School has been incredibly difficult. I spend a lot of time in the studio or studying, and rarely have time to do other things outside of running errands to buy food and supplies. I am currently in three classes, Contemporary Art, Methods of Contextual Research, and Design in Context. The Contemporary Art class is pretty easy, considering I spent so much of my time taking art history courses in my undergrad. Methods of Contextual Research is an interesting class, and forces us to use design thinking to start looking for problems by way of secondary and primary research. It has been a difficult course to wrap my head around, but my classmates are pretty great and help me when I get confused. My Design in Context class I also call my shop class. We take it to get certified in shop machinery (band saw, table saw, planer, router, etc.). This has been by far the most difficult class mostly due to time management. It takes HOURS to work on a project yet we only have two weeks, which I also have to juggle my other two courses and work. I have actually enjoyed learning how to work in a shop, but it hasn't been easy, that's for sure.

Chauncey has acclimated quite well to Savannah! I think he enjoys the sunshine immensely, and I try to take him to the park to roam around at least twice a week. I wish I had a bit more time to spend with him, but since he has to be in his crate a lot, he's been able to sleep with me most nights. He's made some weenie dog friends a few units down, which is hilarious to see them play together.


As most of you know, I've been dealing with this autoimmune disease stuff for about a year now. This time last year, I was visiting with a homeopath and doing a lot of research on autoimmune issues, especially dealing with my daily migraines. I am happy to report that I rarely get migraines anymore and my headaches are few and far between. It's been difficult trying to eat an autoimmune diet here since I rarely have an hour or two to cook food, and for a couple of weeks I slipped off my diet thinking it would be okay and it was very NOT okay. I got super sick, felt fluish for a few days, and even got ulcers because of the food I was eating. I finally realized I couldn't just deal with these symptoms if I could prevent it by eating better, so I am back on my autoimmune diet. Some days I get frustrated because all I eat is granola and fruit, but I feel better overall. It's crazy how easy it is that I forget how miserable I felt when eating horrible that I would consider eating bad food again. I keep reminding myself that bad food is not worth the temporary pleasure because the long term consequences are just awful.

Pink Foam Prototypes

Pink Foam Prototypes

3rd Place - Grad Team (Hard Core Foam Core)
Planter I made

Regardless, although SCAD has been incredibly difficult, I feel accomplished and productive and I love that feeling. So far, I think I've made the right choice, and I'm glad I'm here.

I'll be back in Oklahoma the first two weeks of June, so I look forward to seeing you Okies soon. Until then, check out my YouTube channel to see more of my adventures in Savannah!







Comments

Popular Posts